Thursday, October 25, 2007

...avec moi, ce soir...Hudson Valley Camembert

One evening coming back from work, I became incredibly excited at the thought of a homemade apple and brie sandwich. I knew already had crisp apples waiting at home (picked fresh from Meadowbrook Farm), so I decided to pass through Murray's Cheese in Grand Central Market to find the 'perfect match'.

I loooove cheese, and I'm a Valley Girl (Hudson Valley, that is) at heart, so it was no surprise I was attracted to Hudson Valley Camembert, from the Old Chatham Sheepherding Company. The HV Camembert is made from a blend of sheep's milk and BGH-free (Bovine Growth Hormone) cow's milk. It had so many things going for it--- its reputation ("Best Cheese in America", 2001 United States Cheese Championship), its shape (a curiously square slab--- making it stand out all the other Camemberts), and its size (a modest 4 oz.-small but big enough for one person).

But I digress. Getting back to the subject of cheese, ahem, the HV Camembert was soft and spreadable, making it a great pairing... for my sandwich. Though you can eat the rind, I would recommend discarding it because it imparts this rubbery/metallic flavor that could spoil the whole experience. You wouldn't want to ruin your first time ;)

Hudson Valley Camembert
$6.99 for 4 oz. at Murray's Cheese.

Murray's Cheese (various locations)
Grand Central Market
Entrance on Lexington side of Grand Central Terminal
43rd & Lexington Ave.
http://www.murrayscheese.com/

No comments: