Monday, October 22, 2007

Weekend Damage

Today officially marks the beginning of yet another attempt not to eat SO much (as opposed to 'diet'). After last Thursday's tapas binge, Friday I kept low-key with a turkey sandwich for dinner, only to derail my turnaround with...
Saturday, lunch: Jalapeno & Cheddar stuffed soft pretzel at Starbucks (I was tutoring and had no other option than to eat what was available at Barnes & Noble)
Saturday, dinner: Hotdog and movie popcorn while catching Gone Baby Gone (hotdog- eh, movie- excellent!)
Sunday, brunch: Truffled eggs on pane pugliese and roasted rosemary potatoes, Bellini at Rue B (Avenue B).
Met my aunt for brunch w/ the beau, who had been here before and recommended the place, and the truffled eggs.
However, they seemed to be having an 'off' day, as service was horribly slow and the eggs were not as wonderful as expected (it also seemed to be lacking bacon as part of the dish, which I swear the menu had promised!). For $12 (brunch + cocktail), here it seems you get what you pay for. The intermittent 80s music couldn't even make up for it!
Sunday, dinner: Wedding dinner for a co-worker friend at aja Asian bistro at 58th and 1st. I wouldn't call the food amazing (many posts on chowhound.com dubbed it a 'wannabe Tao' for the most part), but I ate so much I thought my stomach was literally going to burst. Appetizers included edamame, vegetable dumplings, spring and summer rolls, and peking duck rolls (the best of the rolls), as well as a sushi platter with California, Eel, Shrimp Tempura, and Spicy Tuna rolls. I had the Chilean Sea Bass as a main and the beau had the Mongolian Steak. Both were fine, but not outstanding. Tartufo (2 kinds- vanilla/chocolate and hazelnut) was a surprising ending to the meal (for an Asian bistro). The hazelnut flavor was a nice twist.

Thankfully, there are no big meals on the horizon this week. However, I'm sure that I'll report on some interesting bites on the Scranton trip this weekend!

Rue B
188 Ave B
New York, NY 10009-3627
Phone: (212) 358-1700

Aja
1068 First Ave
New York, NY 10022
Phone: (212) 888-8008

No comments: